Every week I post a lot of my daily readings about Web, UI and UX Design, mobile design, webdesign tools and useful resources, inspiration on twitter and other social networks.
This week’s selection: off-boarding from a company, data visualisation color advice, a video on CSS grid and CSS changes in general, Library for Text and Layer styles in Sketch, product design expectations, CSS exclusions, dark patterns, toggle switch guidelines, xlink:href being deprecated in SVG, free fonts, PWA banner update, on learning vanilla JS before frameworks and more.
You can follow me on twitter to get a dose of links every days.
TL;DNR the one you should not miss
Toggle-Switch Guidelines, a MUST read guide to help you design toggle switch form elements that work
- Behavioural archetypes instead of personas, interesting technique to better understand customers and user’s state of mind
- Dark Pattern Design — It’s Downright Unethical & Irresponsible
- Amazon Dark Patterns – Censuring Unhappy Customers
- Is your website optimized for smart fridges?
- What Should Designers Know About Universal App? – looks like apple discovers responsive design for native apps
- New in Chrome 68 – BIG Changes to Add to Home Screen Behavior
- Product Design: Expectations vs Reality – Our products are easy to use… until we complicate them with useless features. A great read on product design and how to ask the right questions
- Six lessons learned by creating a design system at a fast-moving start-up, hehehe Sketch Symbols FTW
- What if CSS Grid Changes? A 10 minutes video from @jensimmons on learning new tools
- CSS exclusions with Queen Bey – fun spec and great read on how browser CSS implementation process works and how to get more involved in the community
- Wait what ??!! “On xlink:href being deprecated in SVG“
“Your Friendly Guide to Colors in Data Visualisation” a really nice article with plenty of ressources and tools to help you with colors
Offboard as a designer – Some tips & tricks I (Damien Senger) have learned from my last days at Fairphone as an user-experience designer.
Inspiration, fun demos and Great ideas
Snakes have legs. Stop being dumb on the Internet. (vidéo)
Pure CSS stack, a fun game in CSS where you need to stack things
Useful tools and plugins that will make your life easy
Zooming, a nice zoom in / out library for your site
Dear Sketch users, we now have Library for Text and Layer styles, this is <3
So I think you will need this tip: “How to replace Text and Layer Styles with Library Styles?”