Every week I post a lot of my daily readings about Web, UI and UX Design, mobile design, webdesign tools and useful resources, inspiration on twitter and other social networks.
You can follow me on twitter to get a dose of links every days.
TL;DNR the one you should not miss
- What’s your [customers’] problem? – on design thinking helping you in the process of creating digital business strategies.
- 15 principles of good service design
- An Introduction to User Experience Design – The deceptively tricky challenge of designing for user behaviour
- Designing for Television, Part 1 – An introduction to the basic ingredients of a TV UI
- Better Collaboration By Bringing Designers Into The Code Review Process
- 7 Basic Design Principles We Forget About – really nicely written article. Point 3 about having a vision, sticking to it and accepting that you can’t satisfy everybody is I think the most difficult of all, especially for stakeholders
- Really interesting data: An alternative to pink & blue: Colors for gender data
- Why Design Thinking is failing and what we should be doing differently – very interesting read. And this quote is sooo true. I quote “Designers and creatives are only as good as the team they are surrounded by. If a talented designer has to spend 80% of their time teaching others or constantly explaining every decision in a rational way to stakeholders — they might not be such a talented creative in a few years. Their craft deteriorates.”
- CSS Quick Tip: The Valid Characters in a Custom CSS Selector – as usually just because you could, doesn’t mean you should use those but they are valid. It reminds me, when I worked in Germany, I messed up IE6 with a ö in the CSS comments. Good old days :p
- Little Tip: Draw Your Grid in ASCII in Your CSS Comments for Quick Reference >>> smart idea !!!
- Haaa I love those “Web history” articles Clearfix: A Lesson in Web Development Evolution. Hands up if you had to use zoom:1
- The div that looks different in every browser
“How a Microsoft font brought down Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif“when forging documents, make sure the font exist at the time the document was supposed to be written 😀
The cost of access by Laura Kalbag
#HTML and CSS
- The Ultimate Guide to Learning CSS, a big list of resources to help you master different CSS topics 🙂
- Interneting is hard – a free online course to learn the bases of HTML and CSS, a super idea for beginners
Inspiration, fun demos and Great ideas
10 years of the App Store: The design evolution of the earliest apps -> super article on design evolution
Useful tools and plugins that will make your life easy
My friend Laurence created 4 really cools fonts you can grab for free here.
I like this cute idea “Itty bitty sites are contained entirely within their own link”
Waveguide, a good collaborative ressource if you are looking for UI patterns and also mobile patterns