Pixels of the Week – May 20, 2018
Every week I post a lot of my daily readings about Web, UI and UX Design, mobile design, webdesign tools and useful resources, inspiration on twitter and other social networks.
This week’s selection: running remote user research, UX jargon, React UI, creating personas, Cards and product design, CSS custom properties, CSS button styling, a CSS grid layout builder tool, responsive tables, Google Material impressive tools, generating background patterns using unicode and CSS, new CSS features changing Web Design, a great TED talk about making useless things, and more useful tools.
You can follow me on twitter to get a dose of links every days.
TL;DNR the one you should not miss
This is SOOOO cool: Unicode Patterns, generating background patterns using unicode and CSS
- “How to run remote user research” great read. After a few remote UR. with different companies I’ll also add “Make sure people can the screen”, a lot of people can’t install anything on their computer so they’ll have to ask IT. Same for chrome plugins :/
- “The user experience of choosing the simplest possible words” a nice read on using jargon
- Create User Personas That Stick – interesting quadrant matrix
- Field Guide to UX Research for Startups – 5 interesting methods
- Product Design Principles in a Single Card – less is more and other design principles
- Two Fascinating Things Salesforce Discovered When It Studied Color – on dark VS light themes and chart and graphs color palettes
- CSS !important and What We Can Use for It
- Strategy Guide To CSS Custom Properties (aka CSS variables)
- “Overriding Default Button Styles“, on how to style buttons in CSS and also And to stay on the button styling buttons topic, here’s another one by @fvsch : Styling buttons, the right way
- New CSS Features That Are Changing Web Design — Grid Layout and CSS shape
- Responsive tables, revisited by Lea Verou
- Remember the IPhone X Notch drama? CSS Environment Variables are becoming an official spec 🙂
- What’s wrong with CSS-in-JS?
Things Designers Should Know About SEO In 2018 by my friend Myriam Jessier (featuring some of my illustrations, yeahy ^^)
Inspiration, fun demos and Great ideas
Brand New: New Logo for BE BEST by Melania Trump. Well. Hum. Like people say “my 14 old cousin could do better than that with a pirated version of Photoshop”
Useful resources, tools and plugins that will make your life easy
Okay now THIS is impressive: ant.design and mobile.ant.design , a react and react native library component (and angular) with special care for design and UX with Sketch files and all you need to collaborate between devs and UI designers <3
Wow, the Google Material Theme Editor Sketch plugin is really cool (but only Sketch, wondering if they will support other design tools). Also the Gallery tool provides inspect and comments on mockups, should invision worry?
Whooot a CSS Grid Layout Interface Builder!!!
An online book on UX process and methods: The UX Playbook