Pixels of the Week – January 13, 2019
Every week I share a list of curated articles, resources and tools about UX, UI and mobile design, Front-End development, HTML, CSS and more…
This week’s selection: content strategy, mobile browser capabilities, greats reads on how CSS works, CSS grid, design ethics, SEO and React, different project process for product design, diversity and icons, a SVG Gradient Map Filter tool, a library with interface sounds, SVG organic shape generator, etc.
You can follow me on twitter to get a dose of links every days.
I gave a talk this week
Super Secret Powers of Mobile Browsers – times have changed! Learn to use the power of Progressive Web Apps and APIS like geolocation, push-notifications, offline support, biometric authentication, etc. to bring user experience on mobile browsers to the next level.
TL;DNR the one you should not miss
“Building Better Products by Exploring Workflows and Design Processes” a really good quick introduction to all the process jargon (waterfall, agile, lean, kanban, scrum) to help you understand different ways to organize a project
- Design Ethics and the Limits of the Ethical Designer: It is not enough to ask if something is usable, delightful, or effective; we need to ask if it is good, and we can only do that with deeper influence at the Business Layer.
- “Reflections from a designer turned product manager: 6 unexpected differences” hum I’m a designer and my week and days look like the right illustrations (aka PM), should I worry?
- Breaking the illusion of completeness – best practices to make sure none of your content is missed and that user scroll
- “CSS doesn’t suck” Andy Bell is remind us how amazing and flexible CSS is. Let’s start celebrating.
- Stepping away from Sass, really nice to see how CSS evolved
- CSS Grid for Designers – a small tutorial to get you started on grid layout
SAM, Self-Start Accommodations Management App — nice case study if you want to see what a user centric design process looks like
The issue of diversity in icon design – Do we have the right icons at hand to represent all humans?
Underneath the component: theme driven design systems – interesting read on components, consistency vs divergence
Tap to Dismiss – quick tips on how to design the X button to close modals on mobile
The first-time content strategist’s survival guide – some really useful tips
“3 Essential Tools to Boost your React App’s SEO” ok this is interesting, the issues with React apps when it comes to SEO indexing and how to fix this
Inspiration, fun demos and Great ideas
#Design in code
Top Pens of 2018 on CodePen – it’s amazing to see what we can build in the browser those days
The art behind the gorgeous Gris on Nintendo Switch and Steam – amazing games design inspiration
Multi-Line Inline Gradient – muuhaha nice challenge and solution 🙂
Useful tools and plugins that will make your life easy
My brain and eyes love this: Dimensions.Guide , a comprehensive reference database of dimensioned drawings documenting the standard measurements and sizes of the everyday objects and spaces that make up our world.
SVG Gradient Map Filter – an online tool to create SVG Gradient Map Filter for your images
UI Sounds – Interesting library with interface sounds
Blobmaker, an online editor to make SVG organic shapes