Pixels of the Week – June 2, 2019
Every week I share a list of curated articles, resources and tools about UX, UI and mobile design, HTML, CSS, the web industry, process inspiration and more…
This week’s selection: finding data for user research, ethical design and tech diet, is “the fold” still a thing, better designer collaboration, accessibility, mobile banking study, freelance designer traps, some SVG/Canvas 3D tool, CSS grid generator, generative music, inspiration search engine, design tools, font-display font-icon and performance, etc.
You can follow me on twitter to get a dose of links every days.
What I was up to this week
The second part of my podcast interview on design and accessibility is online, let’s talk about problems this week 😀
TL;DNR the one you should not miss
The world needs a tech diet; here is how designers can help, an interesting essay with 10 proposals to build less “addictive” more ethical digital products. And yes, the layout of the articles makes it hard to read on some screens so I would recommend Firefox/Safari read mode.
#User Research #Data
- Is ‘the fold’ still a thing in today’s scrolling and skimming culture? People scroll much more than they used to, but the fold is here to stay. Users make a decision on whether to continue based on what they see above the fold, and that content serves the purpose of drawing them into scrolling further down the page.
- Interesting case study on how Abstract was improve file organization and collaboration in the Microsoft Outlook design team: Abstracting the Microsoft Outlook Design Process
- Watch Out for These Phrases Designed to Trap Freelancers, I love the “just”, because, it’s “just” 2 pages you know, it’s JUST… 😀
- The difference between keyboard and screen reader navigation
- Making the Case for Accessibility, from making it personal, universal and flexible, to small changes with big impact, generating revenues and industry standards, 5 arguments to convince your team to invest in more accessible design
#Study #Mobile #Banking
Understanding How Mobile-First Millennials Are Reshaping Expectations in the Retail Banking Industry – Explore how mobile and other digital banking services are redefining and shifting the way banking consumers manage their money.
Useful tools and plugins that will make your life easy
#SVG #Canvas #3D
This is cute: Zdog, a Round, flat, designer-friendly pseudo-3D engine for canvas & SVG
An online CSS Grid generator to help you get started
generative.fm: this site is a collection of generative music pieces: music which changes continuously and is created by a system. Such systems often generate music for as long as one is willing to listen. And it’s beautiful
Muzli has now a search engine to help you find inspiration using keywords
Undesign, a collection of free design tools and resources for makers, developers and designers
A tool to generate twisted polygons and export them into SVG